Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a new 9 week old golden doodle. The dog has a

Customer Question
Hello, we have a new...
Hello, we have a new 9 week old golden doodle. The dog has a terrible dog smell. My wife said as long as the dog doesnt smell she's ok, but as soon as you walk into the house, it smell awfully strong like dog odor. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's a baby and just arrived yesterday. She's chewing a lot but that's to be expected.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The fact that your new gal is chewing tells us that she is suffering form a mild skin issue and this will cause a very bad smell. Check her for fleas and give her a bath in Dawn dishwashing liquid since she is very young for the regular flea shampoos. Give her Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs which will help stop the chewing. Once this skin issue resolves, she will not have that bad odor. In one week , shampoo her in a flea/tick shampoo such as Adams available at the pet store. In most cases such as this, it will take a couple shampoos to get rid of this odor.

If this has not helped, have your vet examine her since they can get an odor from puppy vaginitis or a more severe skin disease.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian