Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

How many ml of liquid Benedryl can I give to my 25 LB

Customer Question

How many ml of liquid Benedryl can I give to my 25 LB sharpei?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is having a allergic reaction to new dog food.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. In direct answer to your question : Benadryl is used frequently in the dog where allergic reactions are suspected and a typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day. { Thus 25 mg in your case }

Check the label on the bottle your particular product and you can check how many mg are in each ml. This would commonly be 12.5 mg/5 ml suspension, meaning you would give your dog 10 ml at a time but as I said double check on the bottle.

Also make sure that the only ingredient is Diphenhydramine.

2. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Benadryl dose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott