Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My four year old pit is walking like she is drunk. How ever

Customer Question
Hello. My four year old...
Hello. My four year old pit bull is walking like she is drunk. How ever she is eating and drinking like everything is ok. what could be wrong with her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Does she have a head tilt?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This just started at about 7:30 when I got home from work. I'm trying to determine if her head is tilting, I can really only determine for sure that her legs are wobbly. She doesn't have any pre existing conditions. And there are no other symptoms. She is eating and drinking and going to the bathroom like normal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked her gums and they are pink and she doesn't feel hot.

1- Is the balance issue constant?

2- Can you stand her and while standing look at her eyes and see if they are going side to side or up and down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has been sitting a lot. When I got her up to go out to he bathroom she was wobbly. Just like when I got home this evening.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her eyes seem to be fine but she is rather wobbly when I stood her up.

Friend, when we see quick onset of balance issues this could be related to many different possible medical conditions. On history alone it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause. But, common causes are: Vestibular disease (system that controls balance is off), neuromuscular disorders like a pinch nerve along the back, toxicity, thromboembolic (stroke like), etc. to name a few causes.

In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian, if this is related to a pinch nerve the sooner she is treated the better the prognosis. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian