Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 16yr.old Russel/corgi has several small oozing cyst that

Customer Question
Hi, my 16yr.old jack Russel/corgi...
Hi, my 16yr.old jack Russel/corgi has several small oozing cyst that crust over with dark crust. I've tried cleaning with saline and apply antibiotic ointment to the area but as soon as the scab comes off they re-open, ooze and bleed. We just had our annual check up and my vet said that if they kept bleeding that they would need to be surgically removed. He recommended that we remove them when I have his teeth cleaned since he would already be under anesthesia. My concern is that he has 5 of them now and other little ones seem to be starting to erupt. Will this be an on-going issue? Is there any other treatment that I can try? He had blood work at his physical and all was normal. Thank you, Kathy
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry that Jack has these lumps. May I ask are they raised lumps typically <1/2 cm? If so then you may want to discuss cryofreeze of these lumps (click here) which can be done with him awake, sometimes with sedation and occasionally they require a few treatments but it allows them to be treated sooner and as needed if they reappear. Your vet can order this system for a modest price and use it on Jack and other patients that develop these lumps and hopefully resolve them without surgery

Unfortunately if they are what I believe they are they likely will reappear and grow and result in the the same scenario you are currently in so having a plan that doesn't require surgery would be ideal

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Kathy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian