Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog ate rose-tone brand organic fertilizer. off the ground,

Customer Question
not sure how much. shaky...
dog ate rose-tone brand organic fertilizer. off the ground, not sure how much. shaky, weak, vomiting, diarrhea. advice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3 year old healthy dog, 78 lb unneutered male, breed = Chinook. can stand up and walk, but feeling bad, needs a lot of encouragement to stand up. diarrhea and vomiting bland, no apparent blood.
3/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The organic fertilizers are more problematic than the non-organic because not only does the organic matter increase nitrogen content which is the worrisome factor in these fertilizers but also contains either bone or blood meal which can be fortified with iron in toxic levels. Please see here: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/bone-meal/ As you'll read, the bone meal can form a foreign body in your dog's gastrointestinal tract as well.

There's no antidote and so treatment is supportive and symptomatic. Inducing emesis once he's symptomatic isn't appropriate. IV fluids in an attempt to rehydrate and electrolyte balance him are indicated and antacid and antiemetic drugs are also given by needle. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian