Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My name is ***** *****. My 8-month old neutured male puppy

Customer Question
was humping our older male...
My name is ***** *****. My 8-month old neutured male puppy was humping our older male in the anus. When the puppy withdrew (we did not see this occur) there was lots of blood from the puppy's penis. The penis was still erect. We checked him several times throughout the night, and everything seems OK. We have not noticed if he has urinated yet, but no more bleeding.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's pretty much all there is to tell. Do we need to get him to the vet?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your puppy's problem! Are you sure that he didn't get bitten by the other dog (sometimes puppies end up humping whatever end is near them, including the head, which can result in another dog biting the penis if they are unhappy!). My only concern would really be if any bite are deeper wounds were present the possibility of an infection. Are you able to expose your dog's penis by retracting the prepuce (skin around the penis) to check for any wounds? This can be a tricky thing to do if you don't have experience in this. If you are able to fully expose the penis and see no wounds, I would just keep an eye on him. If you cannot expose the penis to check, or you are and see a wound, then I think it would be prudent to have your vet check it out and be sure we don't need an antibiotic!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your questions . Thank you and good luck!

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian