Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog suddenly vomited three times and is shaking and trembling and her back leg looks stiff as she is walking. She seems

Customer Question
She suddenly vomited three times...
She suddenly vomited three times and is shaking and trembling and her back leg looks stiff as she is walking. She seems disoriented as well.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She's 12 years old, hasn't had anything like this happen before. She's otherwise very healthy.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What breed is she?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Did these symptoms come on quickly? Or, did she have trouble with her back legs prior to this?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Does she have a head tilt?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1- shih tzu
2- 10 minutes
3- suddenly
4- none
5-not sure of head tilt but she has trouble keeping balance when she is trying to stand up. she just vomited again.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
her body seems to be slightly contorting while she is standing.
she seems disoriented.

1- Did she get into anything?

2- Can you look at her eyes and see if they are going side to side or up and down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I saw her eating a moldy rotten sweet potato she had dug up from the ground today.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her eyes don't seem to be moving around unusually in any way
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is extending her neck out periodically

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. she also seems to be swaying slightly side to side as she is laying down. like she is dizzy...

Friend, the symptoms that you are describing are consistent with a neurological disorder. Given the quick onset we need to rule out things like: Vestibular disease, this is when the system that controls balance goes off, thromboembolic episodes (stroke-like), etc. Less likely we can see similar symptoms with heart disease or abdominal tumors. The vomiting is simply a consequence of any of the above mentioned diseases.

In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. The first thing is determining what is the exact underlying cause. She is going to need a hands on examination with a veterinarian, blood work and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Highly recommend having her checked this morning. In the meantime, remove the food and water until the vomiting is under control. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello. Her eyes are moving slightly side to side.... Does this make a difference?

If her eyes are moving side to side this is likely to be nystagmus which further supports vestibular disease as described above.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian