Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6 month old beagle pup just ate a Cadbury egg foul and

Customer Question

My 6 month old beagle pup just ate a Cadbury egg foul and all. Should I take her to an emergency vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Rosie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosie?
Customer: I carried the garbage out and she jumped up on the table and fished it out of my purse. I walked in on her eating number two and had to pry it out of her mouth. She only got one complete one in. Damn! I am so careful with everything. Baby locks on cabinets, everything. I'm scared. I thought she would throw up as my finger was down her throat, but she didn't.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: I have heard that you can give hydrogen peroxide, but thought I would look this up first.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How much does she weigh?

How is she just now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, thank you for getting back to me as I still have questions. First, she is just over 10lbs.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

If you have any questions, just let me know. Otherwise, one Cadbury egg for a 10+lb, isn't a worry. There isn't much chocolate but even a whole chocolate egg of that size wouldn't be enough to cause harm. So, we could see a bit of stomach upset but we aren't even likely to see that unless Rosie is a very sensitive stomached dog. :)

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rosie seems to be good this morning.. I have let her go to the bathroom and no diarrhea. She is up and moving and seems to be her old self.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

That is grand to hear and very positive. As I noted, it is such a low dose and the foil is thin and should be pushed through the gut without issue. So, as long as she keeps on being her normal wee self, we'd not be worried here at all.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has a visit to our vet today for shots, so I will be able to ask z I will ask some quedtions then. I want to know if in the future she gets into something how do I go about making her vomit?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like a good plan of action for today.

Otherwise in regards ***** ***** question, as long as it anything she eats isn't caustic nor sharp (as those could cause more damage if brought back up) and we are there within 2 hours of the ingestion, we can induce vomiting for cases like last night. If we need to, we can induce vomiting by giving her 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). We tend to give this orally (either with a syringe or some dogs will take it mixed with milk). Afterwards we then would move the abdomen around or get Rosie walking about to get things mixing. That is usually enough to make them vomit for us. Though the above can be used up to 3 times if we don't see vomiting within 10 minutes of a dose. Or if she is stubborn, then we could have her vet use injectable apomorphine to make her do so. So, those would be our approach if she steals chocolate like this in the future.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)