Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I took my pug to the beach today and after coming out of the

Customer Question
Hi Pearl - I took...
Hi Pearl - I took my pug to the beach today and after coming out of the water he was couching quite a bit and now (about 5 hours later) he seems very tired and lethargic and won't drink any water. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He's 10 months old and gets a bit of an upset tummy sometimes if I change his diet - otherwise no health problems
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I can understand your Pug being exhausted after a day of running around on the beach. He may also have ingested a fair amount of sea water and be suffering from a bit of salt poisoning although true hypernatremia (elevated serum sodium) isn't likely without the following symptoms:

• Polyuria and polydipsia
  • Vomiting, diarrhea, signs of abdominal pain
  • Signs of dehydration
  • Sinus tachycardia (secondary to dehydration)
  • Depression, ataxia, tremors, seizures
  • Hyperthermia possible (secondary to tremors, seizures)

I suspect that the sea water irritated his oropharynx (back of his throat) resulting in his cough. May I have an update on him, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian