Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She got into the Easter ham and ate a pretty large piece of

Customer Question
it JA: I'm sorry to hear...
She got into the Easter ham and ate a pretty large piece of it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey, 10 year old beagle
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: She is healthy but may have cushings
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl Bailey. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about your girl:

- How many ounces would you say she ate?
- Was there any bone she could have chewed or swallowed?
- Was there a lot of fat on the ham?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure how much she ate. Probably 3 or 4 mouthfuls at least. We were not home when she got into it. It doesn't look like she ate any bone. She does not seem sick.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Thankfully ham is typically pretty low in fat and definitely isn't 'toxic' to dogs. If she only had 3 - 4 mouthfuls then we wouldn't expect any consequence from this ingestion. Because of her Cushing's disease and tendency for hyperlipidemia (high fat level in the blood), you will need to keep a close eye out for any gastrointestinal symptoms over the next 24 hours. Hopefully will be absolutely fine, but if any vomiting or diarrhea develop, then you will need to get her down to your local vet for assessment and treatment.

You can with hold her food until the morning now, then start back on her regular diet. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water available now and encourage her to drink. In case she seems a little nauseous now after this ingestion then you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Bailey. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian