Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 11 year old daschund always puts s two legs on my knees

Customer Question
Hi JA: Thanks. Can you give...
Hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My 11 year old daschund always puts his two legs on my knees for me to put his leash on... the other day he yelped while doin it and will not jump on my knees since.. he also now will not easily jump on the couch....he hesitates then backs up then jumps. Also will not stretch out foggy style since. He will walk ok but is not running like his crazy fun self. Pls advise your thoughts.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so very sorry to hear about your little one. My primary concern is an injury to the back back, which can be a muscle pull, pinched nerve, or even a mild disc herniation because of their anatomy.

Here is more information on herniated discs in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort and hopefully allow him to return to normal activities with a few weeks. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. Since he is uncomfortable standing on his back legs this should be minimized as much as possible to allow his back to rest and recover

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly. I am online another 20 minutes to assist you both...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian