Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Paresh Patel. My dog, an 8 year old male coton de tulear s

Customer Question
Paresh Patel. My dog...
Paresh Patel. My dog, an 8 year old male coton de tulear his scrotum appears to have dermititis he has had that frerquently. but for the first time his penis has a white puss coming from the tip. has been there for 2-3 days. he is uncomfortable, as he is hyperactive when going for a walk often stopping to lick himself. he also does not desire to do the full walk he normally does.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: might be a delay, i just sent some info. will resend...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he licking the scrotum and penis?

2- Is he neutered?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1) licking yes especially when going for a walk. balls are red and black. a bit crusty. tip of penis is swollen. not in a huge way. but tip of penis is sticking out all the time. normally doesnt do that. also there is white puss. never seen that before.
(2) not neutered
(3) did not want to pee today and cut his afternoon walk short. usually loves going for a walk. is eating and drinking normally. is overclingy.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
has had alot of skin issues in the past. had the testicles issue before.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in terms of tip of penis i mean 1/2 centimeter is sticking out from foreskin.

1- Is the tip unable to retract because it is too swollen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
doesnt seem that way.
not that swollen.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
super sensitive to the touch. penis is a bit swollen underneath the foreskin as tip of shaft seems thicker than normal.

Friend, the discharge and swelling of the penis is called "Balanoposthitis." The discharge is common especially in intact males, it is caused by an infection. It is important that you stop him from licking has this will cause more inflammation. As far as the scrotum, the black color is a sign of chronic inflammation. Similar to the penis, licking will cause more inflammation and irritation.

I would recommend a hands on examination with family vet; he may need antibiotics orally and prescription anti inflammatory medications. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash both testicles and penis with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

Note: Make sure you keep the tip of the penis moist, you can use the topical antibiotic or vaseline. If he strains and is having difficulty urinating I would have him checked by ER veterinarian, he will need to be catheterized to urinate or his bladder could be damaged.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian