Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She had a cortisone shot yesterday was thought to be

Customer Question
She had a cortisone shot...
She had a cortisone shot yesterday for what was thought to be allergies in ear or ear infection and an ear drop steroid med. I have not given her anymore ear drops but is still breathing fast. Still eating and drinking but seems a little out of it. When will this wear off
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy she is 2 1/2 she wasn't breathing fast until toda which would be after the cortisone shot. I am a nurse so I kind get the drift of this but how long will it take to wear off.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: I have turned a fan on her do she doesn't seem to be so hot
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Daisy. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. Do you know what sort of steroid injection she was given since there are different kinds? It might be printed on your receipt if you're not sure or the vet didn't tell you.

2. Can you take her temperature just to confirm that she's not running a fever?

3. Any other changes such as increased thirst or hunger?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A & A Cort shot she is eating and drinking routinely. just seems really tired and doscile and panting and breathing rapidly. I have put a fan on her now and that seems to help.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with a steroid called A & A nor can I find it in my Veterinary Drug Handbook. It may be a generic brand of steroid but it's not a name which I've been able to research.

But, I can tell you that it's either going to be a short acting drug (24 hours), slightly longer acting (3-4 days) or if a long acting steroid injection, it might remain in her system for 2-3 weeks.

As you probably know, most dogs tolerate steroids very well but there are a few patients for whom side effects can be seen; the ones you're seeing have certainly been reported.

Since you're a nurse, I'm sure you understand that once injectable drugs have been given and if side effects develop, we can only wait until the drug is out of their system before their behavior returns to normal, unfortunately.

I agree that it might be best to avoid any topical medication which also contains steroids since there may be absorption....probably not a lot but she doesn't need any more steroids in her system at this point.

I'm sorry that my answer isn't a more positive one but we can only hope that the drug which she was given was a short acting one and not one which will remain in her body for weeks. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have place a fan on her and it does seem like that has helped her breathing and general well being. I too hope it is a short acting. She is a fairly good sized dog and she is my sons. they are on vacation that always makes it worse. we all lover her so much. she does everything but write letters. She can tald to you with her bark and if very well trained in every way and is very spoiled. Her ear was drooping and she was shaking her head so they thought maybe allergy or mites. and the rest is history.

Well, of course, everything happens when you're on a vacation or planning one!!

She sounds like a very special dog:)

Ear mites are more commonly seen in cats so if I had to speculate, I'd say that allergies are more likely. If this is the problem, then the systemic steroids should significantly help such that topical won't be necessary...let's hope that's the case anyway.

Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your dog. How are things going with her? Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian