Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog, short haired small mix, has developed a sudden

Customer Question
outbreak of bumps. She...
My dog, short haired small mix, has developed a sudden outbreak of bumps. She got a row of regularly spaced soft bumps on her right side, apparently a bit itchy, and a strange, kind of hard bumps on top of her skull. Her eyes are a bit watery around and she looks distressed. I took her out and she was very keep to look for a certain kind of grass to eat. Her appetite does not seem to be affected, she just ate, although she did not want the dry food, which is unusual for her, but ate the cats canned food very well.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy, she is about 8, very active dog, in great shape, a lot of times she was taken for a puppy.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: she seemed to have some pain in her mouth a couple days ago, but it seemed to subside
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Daisy has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While I cannot precisely diagnose this over the internet I have to say that any very sudden onset appearance of hives or bumps on your dog's body such as you describe is very typical of an allergic reaction. This is actually very common in the dog and is often a result of an insect bite, if this is the diagnosis then it is rarely very serious.

2. I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK .

3. But if Daisy becomes more unwell at all or there are other symptoms other than the skin bumps or it does not quickly resolve then you should consult your vet as soon as is practicable.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would children Claritin be OK to use?

Hello again, very glad to talk this over with you further ...

That should be fine, Claritin { Loratadine } is sometimes prescribed for dogs for allergies, but make sure that Loratadine is the only ingredient.

There is quite a dose range for Loratadine in the dog but 0.25 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally once a day or as a divided dose twice a day should be OK. You can read more on how this drug is used in dogs via this link : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Daisy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect allergic reaction ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is fine now. It looks like it was an allergy. Are there specific tests to find out what she might be so allergic to?

Hello again,

1. Thanks for the update, if things resolved so fast then as you say this was probably an allergy.

2. There are certainly allergy testing procedures and blood tests which can determine the cause of allergies in dogs { likely allergens }. but this testing can be expensive and sometimes inconclusive so I would only consider this approach if you really have to, perhaps if Daisy keeps getting allergic reactions.

Anyway I am very glad to hear she is better now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian