Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm afraid to ask because the answer to everything is go to…

Customer Question
I'm afraid to ask...

I'm afraid to ask because the answer to everything is go to a vet and have tests done $$.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Well she is spunky but she threw up last night after eating and then this morning she did it again. Okay, I know this is wrong but I mix in things with her food. She's been snubbing her nose at the "mix ins" in a can I purchased from the grocery store, so she hasn't been eating lately unless other dogs come over, she'll always eat if other dogs are eating too. So last night after some tater tot snacks (she's had before" she threw up 2 huge piles. So later I fed her some chickn bisuit crackers (people food) to settle her stomach. Only a few. And a little bit of french bread too. This morning I set out the "mix in's with Puppy chow and she snubbed it" so I poured just a little in a bowl and she ate it. Then I gave her more with some cheddar cheese and she downed that, only to throw it up pretty quickly. I know I sound like a jerk but this isn't a joke.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

The dog was right next to me on the bed a few days ago and peed. Right next to me! She has peed on the bed about 2 weeks prior to that. It's a "new" bed in my house that was my boyfriendss

Veterinarian's Assistant: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.

So I know check for UTI but I serioulsy don't have the money. My vet said if it's not that then they'll do sonograms and tests $$. She's spunky so for all I know it' s just a coincidence (the peeing" and the throwing up is a blend of a flue and my giving her anything and everything so she'll keep filling her stomach.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 2 days by:
3/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian

Hi!

My name is***** and I'll be happy to help you and your little girl today. I'm sorry that it has taken so long for you to get a response. We veterinarians come online at different times, and when I just got online I found your request.

The home treatment for vomiting is to withhold food and water until there has been no vomiting for about 6 hours. Then offer a small amount of water and if this doesn't cause vomiting, keep offering her small amounts every half hour. For food, after 6 hours of no vomiting you can offer a small amount of boiled white rice mixed about 50/50 with cooked skinless and boneless chicken. Again, if she eats this well and there is no vomiting for about 1 hour, continue to offer her this same amount of the "gentle diet" every hour.

Most people do make the mistake of offering different foods (cheese is a common one) trying to entice eating, but this is really the opposite of what we should do.

How are things going this AM? Is she eating the gentle food diet I recommended?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Barbara