Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Did not get answer to my question. My 7 lb. poodle has been

Customer Question
did not get answer to...
did not get answer to my question. My 7 lb. poodle bitch has been in labor since 6:20 pm. Membranes visible since 8pm. I have no transportation, car in shop. I am afraid going to lose her and the pups. what can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Unfortunately, if dystocia arises there isn't anything that a caretaker can do at home. These dogs need to be attended to by a vet who can X-ray or ultrasound the dam in order to better understand why dystocia has arisen and has the ability to administer oxytocin and/or perform a caesarian section if need be. Dystocia is diagnosed when:

1) No puppy is born within 4 hours of the temperature readjusting to normal (greater than 100F).

2) If active stage 2 labor (active contractions) lasts more than 1 hour without producing a pup.

3) More than 3 hours pass between pups without active contractions.

4) A black, green, or red discharge is present before any pups are born (indicating placental separation and fetal distress) or a pup is lodged in the birth canal.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian