Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I have a 9 year old siberian husky, and she has not been

Customer Question

hello, i have a 9 year old siberian husky, and she has not been spayed. my family has had a very long run phobia of fixing the dogs because they think it is unnatural and our previous dog came down with a laundry list of illnesses after he was fixed. i was wondering if it is already too late to have her spayed with no risk. she is in good health, but her brother passed in late august and she seems increasingly depressed since then please. i would really appreciate the advice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I definitely understand the fears of the surgery and at 9 years old if she is otherwise healthy and lean a spay can be done without complications readily. The concern for leaving her fixed at this age does primarily lay with an infection in her uterus which can occur as she ages more frequently and can be an emergency. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

There unfortunately are always risks with anesthesia but we do minimize the risks with current medications and anesthetics. With a skilled surgeon the procedure should take <30 minutes to perform and reduce her risks of having an infection in her uterus but in some situations other concerns such as mammary gland cancers

I hope this information was helpful to you in making a decision with how to proceed. A spay is an abdominal procedure and again there are always risks even with young healthy pets but at this point in veterinary medicine they are minimal and it should help her hopefully live many more years to come. If she is a healthy happy dog that has no issues with preoperative bloodwork I would not hesitate to move forward with a spay for her at this time

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am in surgery this morning but will respond as soon as I am able...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman