Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We adopted our dog Frankie on Feb 11th from Midwest rescue

Customer Question
and we already had our...
We adopted our dog Frankie on Feb 11th from Midwest rescue and we already had our cat Lenny for six years. On March 4th we took Lenny to vet as he was acting strange that day and was hiding in tub crying in pain. When we got there they rushed him in back to put him on oxygen and let us know he was in critical condition and we had to put him to sleep!! We were shocked and devastated and now since last night Frankie has been vomiting and not himself at all. My husband called in sick today as he's worried that maybe Frankie carried something to our house like a disease and now we're going to lose him. We can't come up with more money to take him to vet. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Lenny....I know this is hard! Luckily, most all diseases are species specific so it is unlikely that Frankie was responsible for Lenny's condition. The stress of briging Frankie into the house may have suppressed Lenny's immune system which allows bacteria to invade and Lennys signs sound like he had developed crystals in his urethra due to a bladder infection. In other words, Frankie had nothing to do with this except for the stress and there was no way for you to know that this would be so stressful on Lenny.

Frankie's issue may be a mild digestive disturbance and the treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Frankie for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If he is feeling better, wean him back to his regular diet. If he is still having problems, have your vet examine him to be sure we did not miss something.

Hang in there!

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian