How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10272
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I accidentally just gave my 3 week old puppies an adult dose

Customer Question

I accidentally just gave my 3 week old puppies an adult dose of clavamox drops, my vet is not!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your puppies but happy to reassure you that you didn't cause irreparable harm to them.

A one time overdose of an antibiotic of this type might cause gastrointestinal signs but wouldn't be considered toxic for them.

Vomiting might also be seen which might occur in about 30 minutes or so after given the drops.

Diarrhea is also a possibility which might develop in 12-24 hours. If so, then a probiotic such as Forti Flora would be a good supplement to give them but I wouldn't give them any over the counter anti-diarrheal medications. More than likely, their stools will return to normal fairly quickly.

I know how panicked you must be but they'll be fine. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your puppies. I assume that they're doing well but just wanted to double check. Deb

Related Dog Veterinary Questions