Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She has arthritis in her nd legs. She is German Shepherd

Customer Question

She has arthritis in her hind legs. She is German Shepherd about 10 years old. She could barely walk but has adjusted and walking pretty well. A few days ago we noticed her hind legs are twitching involuntarily.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound on her foot that we can see.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Stoney
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stoney?
Customer: He is aware of her situation. I take her there all the time. Could her arthritis have anything to do with It?
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Yes this is quite frequently related to muscle weakness and increase nerve stimulation and as you said it is involuntary. I personally have had two back surgeries and my leg does the same thing on occasion. It doesn't hurt it just looks odd to see my leg twitching as you describe.

Sometimes strengthening exercises or seeing a physical therapist and/ or acupuncture specialist will help to resolve the twitch but it is common in senior pets that have lost muscling and have arthritis

Please let me if you have any questions I can assist with further today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!