Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I brought my lab home from the kennel this morning after

Customer Question
boarding her for the weekend...
I brought my lab home from the kennel this morning after boarding her for the weekend. The person at the kennel said that I "might need to feed her breakfast again because she ate but was so excited to play with the other dogs that she threw it back up." When I got her home she didn't go tearing around the yard in excitement and didn't eat. She's be lethargic. About 3 hours ago she threw up again, a mucous-light yellow. Then just about a half hour ago she threw up a mustard yellow, really pungent liquid. What do you think?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know what happened at the kennel. She is current on all vaccinations. She weighs 90 lbs and has no pre-existing. Does the strong odor and yellow color of the bile indicate anything?

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the strong odor is an indication that whatever was in the stomach was sitting there for a long time. The presence of bile is common with forceful vomiting. The big question is: Why is she vomiting? Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian