Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog seems to have problems vomiting usually from about 12

Customer Question
am to 12 pm....
My dog seems to have problems vomiting usually from about 12 am to 12 pm. Its not constant and sometimes has mostly food while others there is both solids and liquids1 He seems to feel less than well SOME of the time but feels fine mostly in the afternoon and evenings! Sometime he heaves but doesn't vomit, his digestion has always seemed sensitive! any suggestions-visiting a vet is difficult for us to do!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Terry, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Delayed gastric emptying is considered when my patient vomits in that time period. The stomach isn't emptying as quickly as normal and so the food ferments, irritates the stomach and vomiting then is necessary to empty the stomach of that ingesta. Delayed gastric emptying isn't a diagnosis, however, but, instead, a symptom of both primary stomach disorders and disorders elsewhere in the body that affect the gastrointestinal tract. It can be a challenge clarifying why this is occurring but thankfully many cases are transient and remiss unaided.

A conservative approach would be to administer a prokinetic drug such as the prescription metoclopramide which helps the stomach empty. This would entail a vet visit, however. When a prokinetic drug wasn't helpful diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and imaging of the GI tract (X-rays or ultrasound) would be considered by Andy's vet. I regret that there's little in the way of home remedies for these patients. You can try feeding Andy's late meal earlier in the day and you can try altering his diet to something quite bland (chicken breast sans skin + white rice) for a few days and see how that affects him.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to be away from my computer for a couple of hours but promise to reply if need be as soon as I return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian