Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 year old female yellow lab has a large edema on the…

Customer Question
My 13 year old...

My 13 year old female yellow lab has a large edema on the side of her groin due to a terrible fall she took over a week ago. She was taken to my Vet, tested the fluid filled sac and found nothing that was worrisome. After a few days, she had terrible diarrhea and was given diphenoxylate w/atropine which took care of the problem. We also put her on a bland diet of rice and chicken. Now she's been constipated for two days and has no energy. I do have a call into my Vet, but wondered what you thought might be happening.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Into?

No, I think I've covered it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

In dogs administered diphenoxylate/atropine, constipation, bloat, and sedation are the most likely adverse reactions encountered when usual doses are given. By the prinicple of Occam's Razor, then, your Lab is simply experiencing an adverse drug reaction. Potentially, however, paralytic ileus (paralysis of the GI tract), toxic megacolon, pancreatitis, and central nervous system effects could be seen and so if she didn't remiss within 48 hours of stopping that drug, her vet will want to thoroughly examine her including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and X-rays of her gastrointestinal tract in an attempt to better understand its health.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.