Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a saint bernard and she has hurt her back right p or

Customer Question
I have a saint...
I have a saint bernard and she has hurt her back right hip or leg how much aspirin can I give her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

The true answer is no aspirin should be given, especially if you are going to see the vet in the morning.

There are almost no completely safe over the counter human medications that are appropriate for dogs. Tylenol has a very narrow safety range and does not control any inflammation or swelling. Aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen will cause stomach bleeding and/or kidney damage at the doses required to provide appropriate pain relief. There are a lot of great and very safe approved medications for dogs some are very cheap like meloxicam and tramadol and gabapentin. Since his hips are bad this is a long term problem so he needs to be on a safe medication. If we use aspirin many of those good meds can't be used because they interact with the aspirin. What you should do is put a warm pack (warm wash cloth, heating pad etc.) on the painful area for 10 min at a time as often as needed until tomorrow, then your vet can start her on the better medications without interaction with the aspirin.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more question, if it did, please leave a rating.

Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian