Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 3 yr old gsd will be whelping her puppies in 2 wks.

Customer Question

my 3 yr old gsd will be whelping her puppies in 2 wks. I've heard of a program that one starts when pups are about 2wks old that includes touching, massaging and holding them in different ways (maybe other things too) which stimulates different areas of their brain and helps them learn and adjust and just be smarter and better dogs as they grow.
have you heard of this and how could I get more info about it
I believe the canine training dept of the U.S. armed forces does something like this.
any thoughts?
pat thorne***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Pat, I believe you're referring to the Bio-Sensor/Super Dog program as cited here: http://www.vonlotta.com/super-dog-program.html

Please note that this program is controversial as you can see here: http://www.border-wars.com/2012/02/bio-sensor-is-bad-science-the-failure-of-super-dog.html

Disclaimer: I have no first-hand experience with this program and none of my breeders (including of German shepherd working dogs) enlist it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dr. salkin,
thanks so much for all the info in your answer. I have trained shepherds and border collies for 20 yrs - herding, tracking, obedience, assistance, (pretty successfully) and have never heard of this but a friend mentioned these ideas and I thought I might
be missing something in my training philosophy. I guess NOT. think i'll keep on doing what works for me and these wonderful
creatures.
thanks again
pat thorne

Keep up the good work, Pat. It doesn't sound as if you need to change anything you've been doing!