Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has ate and drank a lot today an he knows he needs to

Customer Question
at least pee but he...
My dog has ate and drank a lot today an he knows he needs to at least pee but he won't an I know he needs to pee to cause his tummy is blowed up some an he let's out a little when or huffs and puff when goes to get up or lay down. I don't know what to do he has potties today though pee an poo butafter eating he hasn't.
That's it he has a two side bowl one side for food other for water its been filled 3 times an he's about 5 maybe six years old he was a rescue I got almost 4 years ago
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What did he over eat today (ie dry food, treats, etc)?

How many hours ago did he last urinate?

Any changes to his breathing?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dry food yesterday afternoon same with urination yesterday afternoon an now he doesn't have tenderness or discomfort touching his tummy. He is breathing a little heavy soon times because its hot an usually normal for him but I'm not sure his gums are fine. He went both potties right before eating an he didn't over eat he's a big dog he a lot an drank a lot an hasn't potties an usually does at least pee an I'm afraid to give him food or water he is still not potties I just want to find a way to make him relieve hisself

Thank you,

If he is comfortable and not straining to pass either urine or stool, then we likely don't have a serious issue here and you can certainly give him at least water now. Generally speaking, we don't worry as long as they are passing urine comfortably every 24 hours. They don't have to always go after eating,even if that is their usual routine.

In this case, we'd want to make sure we are taking him out frequently to give him the opportunity to urinate. We can gently press on his bladder/abdomen to encourage it but we need to give him time. Of course, if he strains and cannot pass any, we'd need him seen urgently by his vet to check for a blockage.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** there are some steps you can take to get him to pass some if it has been a while since his last stool. To do so, you can add canned pumpkin or all bran to his food. These high fiber foods help restore fecal regularity and can push the stool throuhg the gut. Otherwise, you can give him a small dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment, lactulose, miralax, etc) to lubricate the gut and get him passing stool sooner.

Overall, if he is comfortable and didn't overeat, then this isn't likely a worrying situation. Therefore, if he is not straining, we'd just want to add the above to his food to get him passing stool and get him outside as much as possible to encourage him to urinate. But otherwise this isn't a worry if he is not straining or struggling to go.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK so your saying its normal for him not to have peed yet when it's five am an he ate yesterday afternoon time an drink its not the pooung I'm concerned about its that he hasn't peed I don't want another bladder problem cause I have no money for a vet to see him an I hate that I lost my job an trying to find another an moving too I'm a worrier he's like my son. He's never went this long an being a rescue I got an saved he came with some problems were slowly fixing one heart worms but he's almost cleared of an a enlarge prostate I found out in Dec 2014 an needs to be neutered by just my luck he does great an I lose my job just as I'm about to get him fixed up

As long as its been under 24 hours and he isn't straining to go, its not abnormal. So, we just need to monitor. Otherwise, since you noted financial concerns, if you did want to have him seen and have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via:

VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer).

Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon).

Otherwise you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can help. And I would note that there are a number of neutering programs that could at least get that addressed for you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK will check in the morning if need be. Hopefully he will snap back to his self an potty we don't have any vet hospital like that one humane society I can try an see an check in to if I need to. But hopefully he will do his business. Thanks again

You are very welcome,

Hopefully he will, since there are no signs suggesting a reason why he cannot. Otherwise, that sounds like a fine plan,

Take care.

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scooby. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian