Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

He is suddenly very lethargic. He's been dry heaving and shaking

Customer Question

He is suddenly very lethargic. He's been dry heaving and shaking when he inhales
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Scooter is 13. He's a shiz thu , ha auto correct will NOT LET ME SPELL THAT
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scooter?
Customer: Ordinarily very healthy. He has not stopped shaking in several hours .... Very calm just shaking every time he inhales and is looking at me so sadlyūüėį
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Scooter. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry to hear Scooter isn't well this evening. As you can probably imagine, there are quite a range of possible causes for lethargy in an older small breed dog. For Scooter this could be due to anything from an early stage gastroenteritis, to an internal organ issue or endocrine problem, to a toxicity or poisoning (hopefully there isn't anything around your yard he could have gotten into), or even a primary cardiovascular problem. You will need to continue to keep a close eye on your boy for the next couple of hours if you can. If he seems particularly lethargic or distressed right now, then you are best to play it safe and get him seen by your local ER vet now if you can. Also make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and try and encourage him to drink if you can.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

All the best with Scooter and please keep an eye on him for the next few hours if you can. If the shaking and lethargy don't settle or decrease within a couple of hours, you are definitely worth playing it safe and getting him seen. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc