Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Tooth ache we think, puggers 10 yrs old, keeps rubbing on

Customer Question

Tooth ache we think
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: puggers 10 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Puggers?
Customer: keeps rubbing on that side of face for weeks now..and a sudden bark then run out and eat grass
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Puggers. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Pugger's behavior definitely sounds interesting, and you are right, the most likely cause for this sort of behavior is oral pain. Given Puggers is 10 years old, he is bound to have some degree of dental disease, and this could also potentially mean gum recession or even broken or missing teeth. Other potential causes for oral pain could include mouth ulcers or even an oral mass.

The next best step here will definitely be a full oral exam up at your local vet clinic. It is likely that Puggers will allow a full conscious oral exam and this will give the vet team a pretty good idea as to the cause of his behavior and apparent oral pain. From there, the next most likely step is a full dental descale and polish along with potentially a tooth extraction or two if necessary - depending on the degree of his dental disease.

Don't be tempted to give him any human pain relief medications as these typically cause more harm than good for dogs. For now, try feeding him wet/soft food, or water down his kibble so it is soft. This will help to limit is oral pain until you can get him seen by his regular vet early next week. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.