Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our Bosten Terrier is about 4 months old, was passing normal

Customer Question
stools, but is now passing...
Our Bosten Terrier is about 4 months old, was passing normal stools, but is now passing very smelly gastric, greenish watery substance, It squirts across the floor and the smell is vile. She is quite thin, but active enough. Unfortunately she has a tic in her left front leg. It's an involuntary movement jerking her leg up about every second, even when shes asleep. Could she have a severe worm infection as well? Regards Tony.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You've described a constant repetitive myoclonus - a constant rhythmic jerking, usually of one limb every 1 to several seconds. This persists during activity, rest, and sleep and is most indicative of the neurologic form of canine distemper in a 4 month old. Jessie's diarrhea may also be caused by the distemper virus although gastrointestinal parasites certainly may be present as well. Presumptive "worming" with fenbendazole (Panacur) would be prudent because that drug is effective against all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia. The likelihood of distemper, however, needs to be discussed with Jessie's vet if only because the development of a myoclonus is a negative prognostic indicator.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian