Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has an extremely bloated stomach, I think that he

Customer Question
might have eaten a bird JA...
My dog has an extremely bloated stomach, I think that he might have eaten a bird
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is a year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about TT?
Customer: Not that I know of. I just can't afford surgery
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs? When do you think he ate a bird?

What breed and/or size is he?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Any breathing changes?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has had the symtoms for about 5 days. I didn't realize it was so bad until today. I don't know when he ate the bird or if he actually did, I just found part of a bird carcass in his cage. He is a lab/husky/terrier mix who is medium sized. His breathing does seem to be difficult and I haven't seen what his gums look like. He has an extremely difficult time walking for any length of time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His stomach feels like an over filled water balloon.

Thank you,

I must say that I am very concerned about TT here.

Now if this has been going on for a few days, I'd not assume he is distended due to the bird. He should have digested it by this point and the signs should be settling at this point. As well, while bloat/torsion is a worry with distension if he has had signs for days, that too doesnt' fit (since they tend to be painful and deteriorate in hours not days). And if you think his belly feels like a water balloon, this raises worries of a potential internal bleed (which would pale those gums), fluid from heart issues/liver issues/ blood protein issues. Or with his being young, I'd also be wary of peritonitis if he did eat a bone and it punctured the gut wall causing infection build up in the belly.

Unfortunately, with all these concerns plus the breathing issues and walking struggling; there isn't much you can do at home. As well, if he were my patient, I would want him seen urgently. We need a local vet to palpate +/- ultrasound or xray to let us know if we have fluid present or gut based compromise. Based on that, we will know if this is something that needs surgery (like a bleed, torsion or perforation of the gut) or medical management. And the sooner we act, the best chance TT will have with this very worrisome situation.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian