Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 year old chiweeny had a seizure 3 weeks ago and then

Customer Question
tonight she was quiet and...
My 9 year old chiweeny had a seizure 3 weeks ago and then tonight she was quiet and sleepy then she laid down and pooped and had another seizure....she then threw up and it seemed hard for her to get it out. Then she rested and had another tense moment now she is laying there worn out and shaky.
The vet said there isn't really much we can do and that she is an older dog that is just more prone to seizures. Any thoughts...it's terrible watching her so weak and sad.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry your little one has had two seizures now. I would very much advise getting a second opinion. If she has one seizure then that can be an isolated incident but with two seizures within a month she really should be placed on anti seizure medication.

And no, older dogs are not prone to seizures for no reason. It is always possible there is a brain tumor but I have had more than a few senior pets that are managed with medications and this should be considered strongly as well as basic bloodwork to ensure there is not an underlying cause such as issues with the liver that need to be addressed.

I hope this makes sense but please consider a second opinion or call your veterinarian tomorrow to let them know she had a second one and push to have bloodwork and anti seizure medications initiated.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Here is more information on seizures in dogs: petplace.com/ seizures

Unfortunately if the seizures continue untreated then it can cause damage to the brain so I really do advise getting her treatment which might be phenobarbitol, potassium bromide, or kepra which is the newest anti seizure medication for dogs

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the vet is saying it's not a seizure but a seizure like episode...is there a terminology for this? It's actually my girlfriends pup. She said it is vestibular syndrome... is that the same?

Vestibular syndrome is when a dog has a head tilt, they are off balance, eyes dart side to side. Sometimes they have vomiting as well. Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogs

It doesn't tend to come and go as you describe but has an event that occurs then potentially improves over a 5-7 day period

Seizure activity can be a head bob, paddling while laying on their side, loss of urine or bowel, typically less responsive during an event but not always...

Does this make sense? If there is another episode I would advise videotaping it for her vet to evaluate because they do sound scary and if we can hone in on the cause hopefully we can get her more comfortable and minimize any further episodes...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian