Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a beagle who has a bladder infection. It keeps coming

Customer Question

I have a beagle who has a bladder infection. It keeps coming back. The vet I see has given her Rilexene. Since it keeps coming back I believe this medication isn't working too well. What other medicines can I ask for.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has the urine been tested shortly after the Rilexine is completed to confirm that the urinary tract infection has gone away? What signs is your beagle showing with the urinary tract infection?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't yet had her urine tested. She has blood in her urine again and she is straining to go after she has gone all she's going to.

Okay thanks for the additional information. How old is she? I would recommend getting her urine tested again prior to being placed on antibiotics again. Also another issue to consider based on what you are describing is if she has any crystals or stones in her bladder. Dogs who have those tend to have blood in their urine and often strain to urinate. A urine test can help confirm if there are crystals in the urine. An x-ray may be needed to rule out stones. If stones are present, then there is a possibility that she may need surgery to remove them to help relieve her signs. So I would discuss with your veterinarian about ruling our stones and crystals to see if you can get to the bottom of what is causing her urination issues