Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 12 week old english bulldog and he has been very

Customer Question
lethargic,vomiting,no BM, shaking,gums are pink...
I have a 12 week old english bulldog and he has been very lethargic,vomiting,no BM, shaking,gums are pink its been day two of this and i want to make sure he is ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not at this time i believe that is most if not all the concern
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear that your pet has had vomiting, lethargy and shaking which is a potential sign of pain. 2 days of vomiting can severely dehydrate pets, especially puppies. These symptoms are consistent with gastritis (inflamed stomach) which can be caused by several things in puppies including dietary indiscretion (eating foods that upset his stomach), foreign body ingestion and even potentially parvovirus. I do have a couple of questions I would like to ask you so that we can hopefully narrow down some possibilities here and come up with the best next step for his overall care and well-beng.

Has he been vaccinated for parvovirus?

Is he still eating?

What has his diet consisted of in the past 3 days?

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he has been vaccinated for parvo i gave him the 2 part shot myself. He is barely eating and has not had a bm in two days he tries but nothing comes out. His diet in the past 3 days consisted of his regular puppy food i tried giving him dry dog food (same brand) instead of putting it in a blender with water an making paste like food
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
his stomach is severely inflamed.
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok thanks for the additional information. Poor guy seems like he may be constipated, but this is very unusual to happen in dogs this young and actually be another issue with his intestines which I will explain later.

Often pets this young can get sick from parasite infestation. If you are convinced he has an inflamed stomach then I am convinced he also has intestinal inflammation as well. Often times pets with colitis (inflamed colon) tend to have tenesmus (straining to defecate) due to the discomfort and this can mistakenly be seen or described as constipation. Without feelin him myself by palpating his stomach to check for feces in the colon, I would assume that he has colitis.

The best recommendation at this point is to get him dewormed and a fecal examination. There are some over the counter dewormers, I am not a fan of them but if you have no vet to get to right away this is an option for now. Also I would recommend picking up some Pedialyte and Pediasure for him over the counter to try and provide nutritional support. I would also recommend giving him 1tsp of honey or Karo syrup to keep his glucose levels normal so that his sugar levels don't plummet. He really should be seen by a vet soon however to determine if this is due to parasites.

No fleas that you have noticed either? Sometimes fleas can also carry disease that makes pets sick.

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello this is Dr. H again. I just wanted to check back in with you about your pets illness to see how everything was going. I also wanted to make sure the recommendations you received proved helpful to get your puppy back to a healthy status. If it did prove helpful, just leave me a quick reply and I would be most grateful if I was able to be of assistance to you and your pet. I do care about every pet that I assist here on the site and want to make sure they are doing well following our conversation. Thanks.

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet