Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Yorkie sounds like she has a bronchial congestion. It

Customer Question
comes and goes, she doesn't...
My Yorkie sounds like she has a bronchial congestion. It comes and goes, she doesn't cough, and I only hear it sometimes. When she wakes, falls asleep. I've listened to her lungs (nurse) and felt her chest when breathing and I don't hear or feel anything. No nasal discharge
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr.Jess. I am sorry to hear about Bella! Is she still on an antibiotic? Does she have any difficulty breathing? How is her energy level and appetite?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is done with the antibiotics, breathing fine, active as usual. Appetite is fair, taking treats well

And did this problem start before the antibiotics were finished? Do you know the name of the antibiotic?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It started a bit after the antibiotics called Clavamox

Ok. If this is happening regularly since you finished the antibiotic, I would recommend consulting with your vet. I do worry given her history if some aspiration could have happened during her episode you described. It is possible that the antibiotic was helping treat a mild case of aspiration pneumonia, and now that it has been stopped, the pneumonia could be returning if she wasn't on a long enough course of antibiotc. The safest thing would be to have them examine her and perhaps reshoot her x-ray to check for changes in the lungs.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian