Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I switched dog food and have been giving her the 50/50 blend

Customer Question
Hi. I switched dog food...
Hi. I switched dog food and have been giving her the 50/50 blend for three days and she has major diarhe, all liquid no solis stool at all and goes six times a day.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Minnie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minnie?
Customer: She has a slight heart murmur and is a purée bred collie, standard not border.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now in Minnie's situation, we do have to be wary that she may have a dietary sensitivity to something in the new diet. That said, with how severe her diarrhea is there is also a chance that the diet is a red herring and instead we have an ongoing GI infection (bacterial, viral, parasitic, protozoal, etc).

With this all in mind, we need to take a step back and see if we can soothe her gut. Therefore, to start, I would suggest starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. Furthermore, whichever you feed, you can add some fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, 0.5tsp unflavoured Metamucil) to her food to help bulk the stool up and get it formed faster. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. In Minnie's case, we could slowly wean to the new one or may have to wean back to the old one with a view to using something as a new diet for her.

Otherwise, since these types of disturbances tend to be related to GI microfloral disturbance with the diet change, canine probiotics (ie Fortiflora) would be ideal here. Though since she is so runny, we may need to use them in combination with Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, there are kaolin/probiotic combination pastes like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber. All of these are available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, the timing does make this highly suspicious of a dietary sensitivity for Minnie. Though we cannot rule out an opportunistic infection. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her gut just now. Since the diarrhea is severe, if she appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable antibiotics +/- anti-protozoals if needed to settle her gut, and get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian