Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My doghasnteaten muchfor two days and keeps vomiting her

Customer Question

My doghasnteaten muchfor two days and keeps vomiting her water upand is not activ,usualy very active queensland heeler
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your pup! Do you know has she eaten anything unusual? Gotten into the trash or does she have a habit of eating toys or socks, etc?

How is her energy level? Do her gums look pink or pale? Are they tacky or moist?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

It appears that you aren't online right now and I am getting ready to sign off for the night, but I will give a little info before I go, and will check back in the morning here.

If she has been vomiting for several days and cannot even keep down water, then she truly needs to be seen by her vet. Unfortunately vomiting is a difficult thing to manage at home because we cannot give oral medication to a dog who will just vomit it back up! Most of these guys need injectable anti-vomiting medication and fluids to rehydrate them. If ingestion of a foreign body is possible, then x-rays are also needed. For now, I would remove any food and water until she hasn't vomited for 8 hours. Then slowly reintroduce water or pediatlye in small amounts- a teaspoon per pound of weight every few hours. If she can keep that down after several servings, you can try a little bit of plain white rice and boiled chicken breast. But if she still continues to vomit, she needs to be seen! This article details this at home fasting and refeeding: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=353

Signs that she needs to be seen by an emergency vet ASAP include : trouble breathing, pale gums, weakness, abdominal pain, or vomiting repeatedly through the night.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pozzy. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay