Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog has excess gas

Customer Question
dog has excess gas
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your pup! Is this a problem that is causing discomfort for your dog? Is he acting normally otherwise? Or is this primarily an odor issue in your home?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
more of a issue in house.he does take 2 pills a day for his scratching, but this issue is pretty new .

I am going to attach a link here to an article on flatulence (excessive gas) in dogs. It will give you recommendations on things you can try to help this which include:

• Feed smaller meals several times daily instead of one larger daily meal.
  • Feed a mixture of dry and canned foods.
  • Discourage rapid eating by placing an over-turned small bowl inside the pet's regular food bowl. This prevents the pet from taking such a large mouthful.
  • Avoid soy and peas in the diet.
  • Avoid any treats containing milk, cheese or other forms of lactose.
  • Avoid fresh or dried fruit treats.
  • Change to a high digestibility/low residue diet. There are therapeutic diets sold at most veterinary offices that would be perfect. Ideally, rice would be the diet's carbohydrate source.
  • If possible, walk the dog within 30 minutes of eating so as to encourage passing gases outside.
  • Avoid canned foods containing the texturing ingredient carrageenan.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2856

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Hi Jack,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay
Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian