Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We brought our dog in to have two teeth removed, ended up

Customer Question

We brought our dog in to have two teeth removed, ended up removing 17, is that reasonable?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Paul,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Well this does sound a little bit unusual but I have found myself in this sort of position more than once. Sometimes when the dog is under a general anaesthetic you see that perhaps due to advanced gingivitis many if not all the teeth are very loose and wobbly in their tooth sockets. If this is the case it is better to get the procedure over with in one session and do all the required work in one go rather than your dog suffer discomfort at some future point and so require a second general anaesthetic and dental session.

2. All I would say is that if I found myself in this position I would have one of the nursing staff quickly call the client and explain what is going on and seek their permission for further work to be carried out before going ahead. An informed client is usually a happy client ...

3. Many dogs manage to eat well even if they have only a few teeth left, this is rarely a problem.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Paul,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his dental problems ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott