Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 2 year old dog was exposed to Raid Ant and Roach killer

Customer Question
My 2 year old bull...
My 2 year old bull dog was exposed to Raid Ant and Roach killer that had been sprayed on furniture and rug. She had 2 seizures and hind paresis that has continued for over 2 weeks. How long does this toxin present symptoms?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup is suffering from incontinence and hind limb paresis, and had seizures after exposure to Raid Ant and Roach killer.

This insecticide contains Permethrin and Pyrethrum extract, which are both from the pyrethrin family. Dogs are relatively resistant to the effects of this insecticide unless they are exposed to very high levels. Common symptoms of this toxicity are drooling, nausea, diarrhea, dilated pupils, tremors, incoordination and in very severe cases seizures.

As far as how long the symptoms will last, that will depend upon whether we can remove the toxin quickly, before much is absorbed.

Usually symptoms last 2 to 3 days if we can get most of the product off. If this is an extreme exposure then symptoms can last a couple weeks. Very rarely there is long term damage.

While it is possible that this is all related to the toxin it would be really unusual to have long term effects in a dog, that is more common in cats.

My concern is that when she was seizuring she developed intervertebral disc disease. This is when the spongy discs between the vertebrae in her spine either prolapse or leak and put pressure on her spinal cord. This is quite painful and can lead to painful muscle spasms or if there is enough pressure then even paralysis can result. Radiographs can sometimes be diagnostic but often early on in the disease process, because the discs are soft tissue not bone, everything will look normal. An MRI is the best way of diagnosing disc disease. With paralysis that is not responding to conservative medical treatment then surgery by a board certified veterinary neurologist, as soon as possible, is indicated.

At this point since we are two weeks out from the toxin exposure and she is no better I highly recommend that she be evaluated by a veterinary neurologist, who will likely recommend an MRI.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Pam,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian