Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Her neck and front legs to her upper back are very stiff,and

Customer Question
she's breathing shallow, she's also...
Her neck and front legs to her upper back are very stiff,and she's breathing shallow, she's also flinching to things she normally wouldn't flinch too, bright lights and sudden sounds agitate her it seems
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 4 year old Pom girl Lola. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Lola's symptoms tonight are very concerning and the symptoms of shallow breathing, and flinching to bright lights and sudden sounds could definitely indicate a possible toxicity or poisoning, an infectious issue, or even a primary cardiovascular or neurological problem. Hopefully there isn't anything around your home or yard she could have gotten into during the day. The stretching out her front end is common with dogs who are having difficulty breathing, but this could also be as a result of a toxicity or poisoning. If your girl still seems to be shallow breathing, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet straight away. It is never worth taking any risks with a dog that has any sort of breathing issue - but particularly so for brachycephalic breeds like the pug (which your girl is a mix of). Because respiratory problems can quickly spiral out of control and become life threatening in a very short space of time, do try and get her seen now if you can.

If she seems to have settled a little by now, then you can keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl, and if you can get her seen now, please do. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi John,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian