Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 2 week old is breathing hard not eating barely making a

Customer Question
noise when last week was...
My 2 week old is breathing hard not eating barely making a noise when last week was fine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Mom had mastitis I was bottle feeding but notice the puppy had mucous on one eye n today breathing hard barely making noise n doesn't want to eat.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on your history, I am quite worried about this little one. These signs in a bottle fed pup are highly suspicious of aspiration pneumonia. And if this little one is struggling to breathe, it can be a condition with a very guarded prognosis. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do at home here. Instead, we'd really need this little one seen by your local vet. They can auscult the lungs to confirm our worries +/- xray to see the extent of the pneumonia. If this pup is struggling, it can be put in an oxygen tent or at least started on antibiotics, fluids, +/- bronchodilators. This would give it the best chance of clearing the lungs, easing its breathing, and getting it to a state where it can eat for us.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian