Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can I give my Yorkie anything, loose stools until I can get…

Customer Question
Can I give my Yorkie...
Can I give my Yorkie anything for bloody, loose stools until I can get her to a vet in 7 hours?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. The pepto that you already gave will likely help as much as anything else that you would have at home. Its she just having the diarrhea or is she acting sick in other ways too... such as vomiting, not eating, or general being weak/lethargic?

In addition to the pepto, don't feed her any food tonight, but offer her some dilute chicken broth frequently. The only food I might consider is a small amount of plain yoghurt if you have it.... the good bacteria in yoghurt can help, but you don't want to give any with added sugar because that can make it worse, plain yoghurt only. Bloody diarrhea can lead to severe dehydration very quickly. If she will not drink or can not hold it down then I would become very concerned and consider taking her to an emergency veterinarian tonight.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.

She is also having some vomiting, should I continue the Pepto and try to get her to take water?

She can have the pepto every 8 hours. I'd really like her to drink something. See if she can hold it down if you give just a little at a time.., start with a tablespoon and if she holds it down for 30 minutes then she can have a little more. Continue the small amounts at a time all night if you can.

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian