Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is fairly old and this is her first litter, she has

Customer Question

My dog is fairly old and this is her first litter, she has only had 1 puppy in seven hours, she's acting very normal and such, she is eating drinking she has gone to the bathroom, but she is still randomly pushing. I have walked her to try and induce labor but she still hasn't had anything and her belly is fairly hard. Is she done having puppy's? I'm just not sure what to do right now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, her feet are all good
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Okay.. And her name is boots
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boots?
Customer: She's very active and a working cow dog, I have only had her about six months. I got her from a people who were going to put her down because she wasn't working good enough to for them, I honestly don't know much about her history
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I have to say that I am quite concerned about Boots.

This delay with intermittent pushing is abnormal during labor and suggests we may have a breech, dead, or overly large puppy that she cannot deliver. Generally speaking, we should see a pup every 20-30 minutes after the first one. While mums are allowed to take a break during labor, they shouldn't be straining/pushing while doing so and these breaks only last ~ 2hours. Therefore, based on what you have reported, this suggests that there is a problem with her passing the next pup. And if it has been 7 hours already and because there is a risk of fatigue for her, we'd really want her seen by the local vet to see what is amiss and to help her get any remaining pups out safely.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet