Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Loretta, My chihuahua who is 15lbs ate my 94lb dogs

Customer Question

Hello Dr Loretta,
My chihuahua who is 15lbs ate my 94lb dogs phenobarbital last night. He had 1.5 tablet of 100mg phenobarbital.. He seems to be okay and normal except he's a little wobbly. Should I be concerned? It's been almost 24 hours..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If it has already been >24 hours and we are only seeing a bit of wobbling, we'd not be overly worried here. Usually we will see peak effects from this (sedation, wobbliness, increased appetite/thirst/urination) within the first 12 hours. Since this is a one-off dose for your wee one, we'd expect these signs to settle over the next 24-48 hours. The only issue we need to monitor since his signs are mild is that these signs all settle. This is because on rare occasion we can see liver damage from this type of ingestion. So, if you notice the increased urination and thirst persist into the next week, then we'd want to consider having a check up with his vet and bloods tested to make sure the liver is fine. But otherwise, his signs sound mild at this stage and we can just monitor as this runs it course.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )