Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is moving strangely, staring into space and when he first started eating his food today, he moved like he was going

Customer Question
he is moving strangely, staring...
he is moving strangely, staring into space and when he first started eating his food today, he moved like he was going to have a bowel movement,(he is completely housebroken) and is sitting strangely on his rear, like he wants his rectum closer to the floor.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Captain Hector Barbossa, he is almost 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Captain Hector Barbossa?
Customer: no
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear about your pet Captain Hector Barbossa's current situation. It appears that he is having some cognitive dysfunction. This is evident because of the staring into space and abnormal behavior. There are treatment options available for this disorder that I can discuss with you.

I would also be concerned about possible hip or spinal arthritis based on his strange sitting stance.

What breed of dog is he?

Doe he have any limping on his back legs or any history of hip dysplasia?

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is a standard poodle. He did run into our labradoodle last week and I think his back leg is stiff. The sitting stance seems to be something that he actually feels, and reacts to by putting his rear end on the ground, but otherwise he is sitting normally.
He has not had arthritis or history of hip dysplasia. It seems the stiffness is from his run-in with the labradoodle.
Sue
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok. There is a chance that he has a muscle sprain there but usually muscle sprains will resolve themselves within 4-7 days time. If the stiffness extends beyond that then either bony changes (degenerative joint disease) or a ligament injury are more likely. It would be a good idea to get some imaging (x-ray) done on the leg to investigate further.

There are some joint supplements that can be given now to help with joint support. My top 2 are:

1) Dasuquin (Nutrimaxx)- available online and some pet stores

2) Cosequin

These are given daily and have been shown to be effective in helping with stiffness and lameness in older dogs with osteoarthritis symptoms.

The staring into space incident seems like this just started. He doesn't seem to be displaying any other symptoms of cognitive dysfunction that you have mentioned so far such as, not responding to his name call, staring at walls for long periods of time, dull mentation, forgetting to eat his dog food, etc. If these symptoms begin then this is a true indication of cognitive dysfunction which is quite common in older dogs and is an age related change that is similar to dementia in people. There are medications to help with this that have to be prescribed by your veterinarian. But for now it appears his mentation is perhaps stable.

Is there anything else you with to discuss at this time?

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet