Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just got my dog back tonight and he has parvo.. but has a

Customer Question
sister that is with us...
I just got my dog back tonight and he has parvo.. but has a sister that is with us too was wondering how long do they have to be a part for? And do we have to change our clothes everytime we see each puppy? And the dog with parvo when can he get his shots?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: OTIS
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Otis?
Customer: No he is good just concerned about when he can get his shots and how long do we have to keep the dogs apart for?
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your pup! How long has he been since he first got sick?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last Thursday is when we took him in

Ok. I am going to attach a link here to a webpage on parvo: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=579&SourceID= you will see other links on the right hand side of the page which will give you more info if you are interested in knowing more about it.

It is normally considered most contagious for the first 2 weeks after infection, but we usually recommend isolation from other dogs for up to a month to be on the safe side because it can be shed in smaller amounts for up to 30 days in some dogs. Also, be sure your puppy gets a very good bath before he comes into contact with other dogs, as any feces that may have gotten on his fur and hasn't been completely washed off could be hardboring the virus. You also need to worry about environmental contamination if you had htis dog in your home before he got ill, because the virus can be in the environment for quite some time, posing a hazard to the other puppy. HEre is info from that article on environmental contamination:

Indoor decontamination:

• Indoors, the virus loses its infectivity within one month; therefore, it should be safe to introduce a new puppy indoors one month after the active infection has ended.

Outdoor decontamination:

• Freezing is completely protective to the virus. If the outdoors is contaminated and is frozen, one must wait for it to thaw out before safely introducing a new puppy.
  • Shaded areas should be considered contaminated for 7 months.
  • Areas with good sunlight exposure should be considered contaminated for 5 months.
    Of course, the above presupposes that no decontamination steps (other than waiting) have been taken. In most households, owners want to know how to disinfect their homes to create a safer environment for the other dogs there or to create a safe environment for a new or replacement puppy.

Here's what we know about disinfection:

• Despite the introduction of new cleaners with all sorts of claims, parvovirus remains virtually impossible to completely remove from an environment. The goal of decontamination is to reduce the number of viral particles to an acceptable level.
  • The best and most effective disinfectant against viruses (including parvoviruses) is BLEACH. One part bleach is mixed with 30 parts water and is applied to bowls, floors, surfaces, toys, bedding, and anything contaminated that is colorfast or for which color changes are not important. At least 10 minutes of contact time with the bleach solution is needed to kill the virus. Steam cleaning is also able to kill the virus.

BLEACH COMPLETELY KILLS PARVOVIRUS.
  • Disinfection becomes problematic for non-bleachable surfaces such as carpet or lawn. Outdoors, if good drainage is available, thorough watering down of the area may dilute any virus present. Since carpet is indoors, it may be best to simply wait a good month or so for the virus to die off before allowing any puppies access to the area.

As far as next vaccines, he will be protected from parvo naturally now for a few years, but he should continue his puppy vaccines because they protect against other diseases, such as distemper. He should wait until he is fully recovered from his illness and back to normal behavior/energy/stools before being vaccinated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay
Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian