Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 2 year old Chihuahua and he wont eat or drink and

Customer Question
when he trys to go...
I have a 2 year old Chihuahua and he wont eat or drink and when he trys to go to the bathroom nothing comes out but dark red blood.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Bob, there are quite a few causes of what you're seeing but the most worrisome is "acute hemorrhagic diarrhea syndrome" which appears to be more common in miniature breeds such as Patch. The underlying cause of this syndrome is unknown but we consider both Clostridium perfringens and Clostridium difficile, Campylobacter, and Salmonella bacteria as well as the viruses parvovirus, coronavirus, and circovirus. A small percentage of these dogs carry intestinal parasites such as Giardia, hookworms and whipworms - all of which are known to cause bleeding.

Most important is that these miniature dogs dehydrate and become elecrolyte inbalanced very quickly when they bleed as you've described. They require prompt attention by a vet who will initiate intravenous fluid and electrolyte supplementation, metronidazole - the antibiotic of choice for Clostridial as well as Campylobacter infections - and perhaps injectable antacid and antiemetic therapy as well as an oral "liquid bandage" called sucralfate. Time is of the essence.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian