Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a question my dog just got in to active labor how do

Customer Question
I know if there is...
I have a question my dog just got in to active labor how do I know if there is a problem?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: she is in active labor pushing and the paw is showing. She seems to be doing good but I was wondering what do I look for to know if she is having problems
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: jade and she is about 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jade?
Customer: no I just don't know what to look for incase I have to rush her in to get a c-section
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

So far so good. Which breed is Jade, please? At this point the only indication of dystocia (difficult birth) would be if more than 3 hours pass between pups without active contractions. You ordinarily see passage of a neonate every 30-60 minutes and Jade should deliver pups at least every 2 hours thereafter. She should tear away the amniotic sac and lick the neonate to stimulate respiration. If she ignores the pup, please tear away the sac and rub briskly with a towel. You may also need to aspirate fluid from the pup's upper respiratory tract with an eyedropper. Placentas usually pass 5-15 minutes after each pup is born. Jade may eat them but they have no known physiological value and may cause vomiting and diarrhea.

You can assist in any birth; be gentle and never force the issue! Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only a paw is out

Is she actively pushing? How long has the paw been out? Which breed is Jade, please?

I have to leave my computer for the night and so I'll opt out which will allow other vets to enter our conversation if need be.

May I have an update on Jade, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian