Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 80 pound 1 year old boxer took my prescription sleep

Customer Question
medicine off the night stand...
My 80 pound 1 year old boxer took my prescription sleep medicine off the night stand. He chewed the bottom out of the bottle & it appears he ingested 2 or 3 (30 mg per pill) pills of Temazepam? I am prescribed 1 each night. It has been about 30 minutes ago and he is awake acting normal and just fell asleep. How will these pills affect my dog?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Toby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?
Customer: He does not have any other health issues. The only thing I can think of is he got hives b4 from something in the grass & my vet told he to give him two benedryls. He was fine & the hives went away. This was several months ago. Other than that he is UTD on all his shots and was neutered @ 6 months.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Since it has been within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 3 tbsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Since temazepam is a benzodiazepine sedative/anti-anxiety medication, it is pretty safe for dogs. Although that dose is a bit higher than would be typically given for a dog his size. Chances are he won't have any problems except maybe getting a little sleepy. Since it's been within an hour of when he ate it, you can try giving some hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit as advised above and see if he brings up the pill. If he gets extremely sleepy or lethargic, you may need to take him to a vet for supportive care and treatment until the medication wears off.

In unanesthetized rabbits and dogs, temazepam caused slight but significant decreases in blood pressure at oral doses from 5 to 20 mg/kg. At 80 pounds (36 kg) if ingested 90 mg that would mean a 2 mg/kg dose which is below this dose range so again would not expect to see anything more than sedation but if he is very lethargic or sleepy please consider a veterinary er for supportive care

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 30 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Here is a link to the monograph with the animal studies at the bottom: http://www.sunovion.ca/monographs/restoril.pdf

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on your Boxer to ensure there were no ill effects from the ingestion last night? Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian