Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She's having throat spasms - sort of a gulping - extends her

Customer Question
neck and gulps - drank...
she's having throat spasms - sort of a gulping - extends her neck and gulps - drank some water but did not help. Stopped for a while, then started again. Almost like hiccups, but not hiccups. I don't think its a reverse sneeze either.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No - 6 months of age - australian shepherd and poodle - very active - does not appear to be in distress
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your quesiton.

That certainly doesn't sound like a reverse sneeze. Is it possible that she could have something stuck in her throat? I have seen that same gulping motion in a dog with a bone suck behind his rear molars.... it was sitting crosswise in such a way that he could still breath and drink, but it was making him feel like there was something in the back of his throat so he kept swallowing.

I would really recommend having him looked at by a veterinarian ASAP. If he continues to do this he could swallow too much air. When their stomach fills with air they can develop a very serious condition called bloat.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks just like this video: http://dogguru.net/dog-with-throat-spasms-and-licking-the-gulps/

That kind of movement I would associate with swelling or foreign material in the throat or esophagus. You would need to sedate and scope the area to know more.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian